This course covers wind energy conversion systems, and micro grids with hybrid power
sources. Modeling and control of renewable energy sources such as wind turbine generation, solar panel and fuel cell and power electronics interfaces will be presented. Integration of renewable energy systems will be covered.
On completion of this course, the students are expected to understand the concept and working principles on combining the two or more renewable energy sources used together to provide increased system efficiency as well as greater balance in energy supply
The objective of the course is to introduce students to the theory and practice of renewable
energy and its integration to smart grid.
A student on completing this course is expected to:
- Outline general physical mechanism of energy conversion.
- Outline basic power electronics principles, like the dc-dc converter and dc-ac inverter.
- Describe renewable energy generation, especially wind and solar energy generations.
- Discuss the basic principles of renewable energy integration to smart grid.
- Design a renewable energy system for smart grid.