Electromagnetic Theory And Transmission Lines
Obtain an understanding of Maxwell’s equations and be able to apply them to solving practical electromagnetic fields problems. Fundamental concepts covered will include: laws governing electrodynamics, plane wave propagation in different media, power flow, polarization, transmission and reflection at an interface, transmission lines, microwave networks, waveguides, radiation and antennas, wireless systems design and examples.
At the end of this course, students will be able to:
1. Discuss Maxwell’s equations so solve problems
2. Formulate problems involving lossy media with planar boundaries using uniform plane waves.
3. Derive the steady state transmission line equations
4. Derive fundamental antenna parameters starting from Maxwell’s equations
On completing this course, students are expected to:
1. Apply Maxwell’s equations to electromagnetic problems problems.
2. Formulate and analyse problems involving lossy media with planar boundaries using uniform plane waves.
3. Designsimple distributed circuit components using steady state transmission line equations
4. Analyse and design basic microwave circuits using microwave network parameters.
5. Apply fundamental antenna parameters in the design of rudimentary wireless communications systems.