The course examines the legal regulation that governs the formation, constitution, incorporation, operation, management, governance, financing and dissolution of companies. It discusses such issues as incorporation documents, rights and duties of shareholders, share capital and debentures, company’s liabilities and shareholders remedies.
EXPECTED LEARNING OUTCOMES
By the end of the course unit, students should be able to:
- Comprehend and appreciate the importance of the concepts of separate legal entity and limited liability as applied to companies
- Acquire knowledge and basic skills on how to incorporate a company
- Appreciate the record-keeping requirements for companies
- Understand the rules and regulation and acquire skills on how to handle capital, shares and finance in a company
- Acquire knowledge about the duties and potential liabilities of shareholders, directors and promoters of a company