This first course unit of pharmaceutics sets the stage for subsequent courses in this course by defining the key terms and concepts to be encountered later on, and defines the scope of pharmaceutics, the typical stages and processes involved in drug development, and good dispensing practices.
PURPOSE OF THE COURSE
This course presents to the student an introductory overview and common terminology used in pharmaceutics, basic concepts, highlighting a background of drug discovery in view of drug development leading to drug design and formulation and an introduction to good dispensing procedure.
EXPECTED LEARNING OUTCOMES
At the end of this course, students should be able to:
- Define pharmaceutics and the common terms and concepts used in pharmaceutics
- Outline the scope of pharmaceutics
- Outline the major processes of drug development
- Explain the relevance and significance of drug design and formulation of medicine.
- Discuss good dispensing procedure.