Forensic Pharmacy, Ethics And Law
This course covers concepts of forensic pharmacy, ethics and law that are involved in the practice of the pharmacy profession. The course is theoretical and will consist of lectures and case studies.
Pharmacists play a vital role in the provision of health care to the community. This course therefore helps them develop the right competences and skills aspects of forensic pharmacy. The course also helps the student appreciate the importance of professional ethics and laws in building professionalism and maintaining high professional standards in the practice of the pharmacy profession.
This course is intended to equip the student with knowledge regarding the laws and regulations pertaining to control of pharmaceuticals and medical and surgical supplies. It also examines the ethical issues and legal framework within which pharmacy is practiced. Also addressed are property rights and patenting of pharmaceuticals. Furthermore, forensic aspects of pharmacy are highlighted.
EXPECTED LEARNING OUTCOMES
At the end of this course, the student is expected to be able to:
1. Discuss professional ethics in pharmacy practice.
2. Discuss the laws and regulations pertaining to the control of pharmaceuticals, medical, and surgical supplies in Uganda.
3. Discuss the legal aspects of pharmacy practice.
4. Describe the laws governing international regulation of classified drugs.
5. Discuss forensic aspects of pharmacy practice.