Introduction To Computer Fundamentals
Given that the students on this course may not have had professional education training on computer fundamentals. This course is crafted to appraise them on the general understanding of how a computer works. It focuses students on basic components of a computer, knowledge and skills relating to computer storage and how the different components of a computer work together.
The course is designed to enable students learn the basic skills of using a computer as a central tool for pursuing their studies. It provides a general introduction to the broad aspects of computer systems, how it works, a brief history of the computers and the basic components of a computer. In addition, students will be grounded in the proper use of the Internet for research.
The aim of this course is to introduce students to the different computer components, acquaint them with how the computer works and how these can be applied in authentic classroom situations.
EXPECTED LEARNING OUTCOMES
By the end of the course unit, students should be able to:
- Identify the various parts of a computer systems and what each does.
- Identify and explain the various Operating Systems
- Identify major software applications and what they do.
- Describe what capabilities Internet has, what a browser does, and be able to perform basic navigation over the worldwide web.
- Explain the Open source software, Linux and Open Office.