Philosophy Of Education
Course Content and Outline
Matter of Philosophical Thought (5 Hours)
- Definition and characteristics of philosophy.
- Definition of philosophy of education.
- Relevance of philosophy to education.
The Branches of Philosophy (7 Hours)
Major types of philosophical systems in education (9 Hours)
- What is Idealism?
- Basic nature of man according to the idealists.
- Idealism and education.
- Plato and the Platonic approach to education.
Naturalism (11 Hours)
- What is naturalism?
- What is the basic nature of man according to the naturalists?
- Knowledge, values according to naturalists.
- Naturalism and education.
- Ronssean and education according to nature, Ronssean and his child-centered education.
- Advantages and disadvantages of Ronssean’s education Spencer’s education for complete living;
- Spencer and Education.
- Spencer’s education methods.
Pragmatism (13 Hours)
- What is Pragmatism?
- Themes of Pragmatism.
- Nature of reality according to pragmatists.
- Basic nature of man according to pragmatists.
- Knowledge/epistemology according to pragmatist.
- Value/axiology according to pragmatists.
- Pragmatists and education.
- Deway John’s social theory.
- Aims of education according to Dewey.
- Dewey and knowledge.
- The education process according to John Dewey.
- The education methods according to Deway John.
MODE OF DELIVERY
- Reading assignments
- Practical assignments
INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS AND / OR EQUIPMENT
- Whiteboard and Markers
- Flip Charts
- LCD Projectors
- CDs, DVDs and Tapes