Professional Ethics For Teachers
Course Content and Outline
Concept of Professional Ethics (4 Hours)
- This will involve the term ethics and professional ethics,
- the ordinary and technical understanding of ethics
- And the relevance of ethics.
Ethics and other disciplines (5 Hours)
- The relationship between ethics and other human and social sciences like Anthropology
- Sociology and Law
Morality (4 Hours)
- The meaning of the term morality
- Types of morality
- Moral and non moral judgments.
- The definition of moral codes
- Origin of moral codes, critical stand to moral codes and definition of moral terms.
The human person as the basis of ethics (5 Hours)
- The elements of human nature
- the major characteristics of the human being such as rationality
Ethical dilemma (4 Hours)
- The definition of the term ethical dilemma
- Causes of ethical dilemma
- And Socrates’ view and reasoning ethical dilemma.
Ethical relativism (6 Hours)
- The meaning of ethical relativism
- Causes of ethical relativism
- Reasons why people’s ethical judgments differ.
The criteria for making ethical judgments (4 Hours)
The theories of ethical judgments i.e. Teological and Deontological theories.
The teachers’ code of ethics (4 Hours)
Sub divided into the analysis of the analysis of the code of conduct of conduct such as membership to the teaching profession, chief and professional responsibility of the teacher, teacher’s personal conduct and Head teacher’s professional conduct.
Moral development (4 Hours)
- the importance of teaching morals
- stages of moral development
- The role of the school/ teacher in promotion of morals among learners.
Schools and social responsibility (5 Hours)
- the meaning of social responsibility
- groups to which the school has to show care
- Importance of social responsibility.
MODE OF DELIVERY
- Reading assignments
- Practical assignments
- Field trips
INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS AND / OR EQUIPMENT
- Whiteboard and Markers
- Flip Charts
- LCD Projectors
- CDs, DVDs and Tapes