Physical Background Of Africa
The study of the physical set up of the African continent is a perquisite in understanding the factors that shape Africa’s development. This course therefore acquaints students with the knowledge of how physical features influence human activities so as to explain the current socio-economic regional development trends in Africa.
The course covers a wide variety of topical issues that range from; major physical regions in Africa, geological history of the African continent, major physical features on the African continent, influence of human activities on the African environment, hydrograpy to the economic development of Africa on-to major vegetation types and the factors influencing the existence of the types of vegetation in Africa.
The course aims at providing knowledge on the physical set up of the African continent. It also explores the major physical features including the natural vegetation and the environment and its impact on human activities.
EXPECTED LEARNING OUTCOMES
By the end of the course unit, students should be able to:
- Exhibit an understanding of the major physical regions of Africa
- Explore the geological history of the African continent
- Describe the major physical features on the African continent
- Analyze the effect of human activities on the environment of Africa
- Discuss the importance of the hydrograpy to the economic development of Africa
- Describe the major vegetation types in African and the factors influencing the existence of the types of vegetation in Africa.