Emergency Of Liberal Democracy And Nationalism In Europe
The study of the origin and evolution of nationalistic tendencies in Europe is a perquisite for understanding the factors that shape the Continent’s contemporary democratic ideas. This course therefore acquaints students with the knowledge of how liberal democracy and nationalism have transformed Europe over time.
This course exposes students to a wide variety of topical issues that include; conceptualization of nationalism, how nationalism operates, conceptualization of democracy, theories of democracy, kinds of democracy, Europe before the French revolution, Revolutionary France and democracy, 20th century waves of democracy in Europe.
The course aims at discussing the origin and evolution of nationalistic tendencies and the earliest form of democratic ideas on continental Europe and how the two have transformed the continent over time.
EXPECTED LEARNING OUTCOMES
By the end of the course students should be able to:
- Conceptualize nationalism and Liberalism
- Exhibit an understanding of the levels at which nationalism operates.
- Make reflections on the history of democracy on the European continent
- Discuss the different conceptions of democracy with special emphasis given to liberal democracy
- Discuss the trends of democracy on the continent of Europe
- Discuss the causes and consequences of the French revolution and it impact on the growth of nationalism on continental Europe