The course will provide a general introduction to the broad aspects of computer systems, how it works, a brief history of the computers and the basic components of a computer system in term of hardware and software. In addition, it will enable students get an in depth understanding of commonly used application software or packages such as word-processing, spread-sheet, power point-presentation, databases and Internet. This course provides skills that can be applied immediately in the classroom and later at workplace.
This Course aims at developing computing knowledge and skills needed to operate a computer system using common packages such MS Word, MS Excel, Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Power Point, and the basic of HTML. Learners will be able to use the Internet, and understand the role that it plays, find relevant information, process it, make decisions and learn how to use ICTs responsibly.
Expected Learning Outcomes
At the end of the course, students will be able to:
- Define the terms computer systems, and specify the four basic computer operations; inputting, processing, outputting and storage
- Explain the principal components of a computer system and their use
- Identify several types of personal computers and computer generations
- Discuss different types of computer peripherals
- Perform basic tasks using the common office applications in various platforms of operating systems.
- Use Internet based applications in managing online data and information