Introduction To The Study Of English
This course provides a rationale for the teaching and learning of English at University level. The global spread and international status of the language as well as the many uses to which it is currently put all conspire to create a demand for the language in the world today.
This is a general introduction of the English language within a global setting. The course explores the various uses to which English is put and seeks to rationalize its ascendancy to its premier position in the world today.
- Equip the student with crucial factors that have contributed to the status of English in the world today.
- To make the student aware of the many Englishes there are as well as the many uses of English in the world.
- Make students more aware of career prospects centered around English language teaching.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES
By the end of this course unit, students should be able to:
- Discuss the relative importance of English on a global platform.
- Identify and differentiate the various uses accorded to English.
- Demonstrate awareness of variety in the types of English in existence.
- Show how the demand for English may be fulfilled through a focus on English language teaching.