Morphology Of English
The general principles underpinning word structure as well as the peculiarities of the English word form a vital basis in the study of English grammar since the word is the basic building block in the grammatical hierarchy. It is essential for students of English to analyze the internal constituents of the word and also to be conversant with the ways and means of the processes utilized in word building.
The course introduces students to the notion ‘word’ and the general principles governing the structure of words generally as well as specifically in English. Focus is made on the internal structure of the English word as well as word building processes and inflectional elements in the language.
- To make the student aware of the various senses of the term ‘word’ in use.
- To sensitize students about the internal organization of English words and how such elements combine to form English words.
- To ensure that the students is aware of the processes English uses in word building and in inflection.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES
By the end of this course, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate awareness of the many senses of the term ‘word’.
- Show awareness of the internal organization of English words.
- Characterize as well as distinguish word formation processes with respect to English