Variaties Of English
Being a global language, English manifests a lot of variation in its usage. A student of English needs to be aware of the coexistence of English, on the one hand, with Englishes, on the other hand. The course also avails the students either an opportunity to focus on a functional variety of English with a view of making a stylistic analysis of the same variety, thus deepening the students’ knowledge of that variety.
The course deals with the many types of varieties of usage of English in the perspective of the common core features of English – features shared by most varieties. The course also makes an attempt to make an in-depth stylistic analysis of a variety.
- To ensure that the student is aware of the wide range of varieties in English usage in the perspective of common core features of the language.
- To give the student an opportunity to attempt a stylistic analysis of a functional variety of English.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES
By the end of the course, students should be able to:-
- Identify as well as discuss a range of varieties in English usage as well as their conditioning factors.
- Characterize the major regional varieties of English as well as discuss possibilities of the existence of a national variety in Uganda.
- Attempt a stylistic analysis of a non-literary variety of English.