Course Content and Outline
DRUGS ACTING ON CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM 22 HRS
• Neurotransmission in the CNS
• CNS stimulants
• Neurodegenerative disorders: Drugs used in Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s diseases
• Sedative hypnotics
• Drugs in the treatment of sleep disorders
• Anti-epileptics (Anticonvulsants)
• Major tranquilisers
• Analgesics: Opioid and non-opioid analgesics; Opioid antagonists
• Anaesthetics: Local anaesthetic agents; General anaesthetic agents
HORMONES AND RELATED DRUGS 22HRS
• Anterior pituitary hormones
• Thyroid hormones and thyroid inhibitors
• Insulin, oral hypoglycaemic drugs and glucagon
• Gonadal hormones (sex hormones) and their antagonists
• Oxytocin and drugs acting on the uterus
• Drugs affecting calcium balance
CARDIOVASCULAR/ RENAL DRUGS 22HRS
• Diuretics and related renal drugs.
• Antihypertensive drugs.
• Drugs used in the treatment of congestive heart failure.
• Antiarrhythmic drugs.
• Antianginal drugs.
GASTROINTESTINAL DRUGS 12 HRS
• Drugs used in Peptic ulcer disease and gastrinomas
• Drugs used to treat constipation: Prokinetic agents and laxatives
• Antidiarrhoeal agents
• Emetics and antiemetics
• Drugs used in management inflammatory bowel disease RESPIRATORY DRUGS 8 HRS
• Drugs used in asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease Anti-cough agents
VITAMINS 4 HRS
DRUGS AFFECTING BLOOD AND BLOOD FORMATION 11 HRS
• Anticoangulant, antiplatelet and fibrinolytic agents
• Hypolipidaemic drugs and plasma expanders
• Haemopoietic agents
• Anti-anaemic agents
• Anti-rheumatoid and anti-gout agents 7HRS
METHODS OF TEACHING
Teaching will take the form of formal lectures, tutorials, and in-vivo practicals using laboratory animals.
• White boards and markers,
• LCD projectors and laptop computers, speakers and amplifiers
• Laboratory rats and mice
• Syringes and oral cannulas,
• White cotton thread
• Digital vernier callipers
• Digital rectal thermometers
• Drugs, chemicals and reagents.