African Traditional Religion
Course Content and Outline
Definition (3 hours)
- Characteristics of African traditional Religion / heritage.
- Approaches to the study of African traditional religion.
- Misconceptions about African traditional religion / heritage.
- A critical assessment of those misconceptions.
- Sources of African religious heritage (3 hours)
- Sacred objects
- Place ( sacred ones)
- Music and dance
- Myths and legends
- Proverbs and wise sayings
- In all aspects of life
- God in African religious heritage (4 hours)
- Origin of the belief in God.
- What God does?
- Attributes of God.
Spirits (5 hours)
Types of spirits
- Roles of spirits
- Mystical power, magic, witchcraft and sorcery
Divinities (5 hours)
Rites of passage (5 hours)
- Giving birth to a child
- Categories of names
- Took / teeth extraction
- Pulling of the labia’s among females
- female genital mutilation
Marriage in African traditional perspective (5 hours)
- Taboos involved
Morals in traditional Africa (5 hours)
- Value of morals
- How Africans preserved morals
- Concept of evil and justice
Death and the hereafter (5 hours)
- Causes of death according to Africans
- Prevention of pre- mature death
- Origin of death.
- Beliefs in the hereafter
- Case study of myths about the origin of death
- Kintu and walumbe
- Implications of the myths
African religions heritage in the contemporary society (5 hours)
- Changing man and his problems
- The coming of foreign religions
- African concept of time
- Reading assignments
- In class discussions
- Guided discovery
- Whiteboard and Markers
- Flip Charts
- LCD Projectors
- CDs,DVDs and Tapes