Basic Microbiology (bacteriology/virology And Mycology)
PURPOSE OF THE COURSE
The course provides the fundamental knowledge needed by the student to understand microorganism as a unique entity in the world. This knowledge is essential for effective and adequate manipulation of the microorganisms for the betterment of mankind.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES
At the end of the course, the students should be able to:
1. Isolate and identify microorganisms
2. Control microorganisms in the in vivo and invitro conditions
3. Locate the habitats of microorganisms
4. Preserve microorganisms for future studies
5. Know microbial pathogenicity/virulence
6. Classify, characterize and give the pathophysiology of infections caused by medically important bacteria,viruses, parasites and fungus
7. Outline the principles of public health
8. Describe the principles of laboratory methods and diagnosis of pathogenic organisms
9. Interpret diagnostic tests as related to common clinical, laboratory, radiologic and pathologic findings in common disease states.