Basic Immunology Course Code
Purpose of the Course
The immune system depends on the complex interaction between many diverse elements. Because of this, a good understanding of how the immune system works can be gained by examining how it combats infectious agents such as bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites. The course is intended to provide knowledge required for students to understand the concepts of interaction between body defense mechanisms and disease causing agents.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES
1. To equip the student with knowledge on the principles and applications of the immune system responses
2. To equip students with knowledge on the functioning of both the innate and adaptive immune responses.
3. Explain how the body prevents entry of pathogens.
4. Explain how the body responds to presence of foreign bodies.
5. Describe how the two arms of immunity interact with each other and how the immune responses are regulated.
6. Appreciate the mechanisms and importance of immune system.