The course addresses principles of general pathology aimed at enabling students understand the disease process. It covers the processes involved in altered cellular and tissue biology, cellular proliferation- cancer, genes and genetic diseases, altered functions of immunity and inflammation, common infections and communicable diseases, integumentary musculoskeletal, haematologic cardiovascular and pulmonary systems. Finally, it explores the role of the nurse in carrying out investigative procedures
Course Learning Outcome
- Upon completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Describe the pathology of inflammation, infections, communicable diseases and tumours.
- Describe the pathology of the common disorders involving the various body systems- integumentary musculoskeletal, haematologic cardiovascular and pulmonary systems. .
- Describe and explain immune mediated disorders in the human body.
- Explain the role of the nurse in carrying out investigative procedures in pathology
- Demonstrate understanding of the principles of immunology and general pathology in caring for clients and patients, taking accurate clinical observations and carrying out simple investigative procedures.