This course prepares students with knowledge, skills and attitudes to provide effective and youth friendly adolescent reproductive health services, safe motherhood and family planning services in clinical and community settings. It addresses principles and practices of adolescent reproductive health; best safe motherhood practices; principles and practices of family planning and midwifery regulatory framework of Uganda.
The course aims to equip students with knowledge and skills to promote maternal health and to be able to identify causes of maternal morbidity and mortality with the aim of preventing them in addition to new approaches of investigating and managing maternal health complications.
Course Learning outcome.
- Identify standards of Maternal and Newborn Health Care for Uganda.
- Explore basic concepts of sexuality and reproductive health;
- Describe issues of women’s sexuality, reproductive health and Family spacing in relation to promoting women’s health across their life span.
- Discuss principles and practices of adolescent reproductive health
- Explain the importance of the safe motherhood concept
- Discuss the principles and practices of family planning
- Describe the regulatory framework of midwifery
- Discuss the recommended integrated management of Pregnancy and childbirth
- Explore issues surrounding pregnancy, labor and child care with a view of identifying strategies that can reduce maternal morbidity and mortality