Community Health Nursing
The course prepares the student to work with families and communities in meeting their health needs. It focuses on concepts of community health nursing, primary health care and common communicable diseases in Uganda. Environmental factors that affect health are explored through community mobilization and assessment for health interventions at the community and family levels. Family theories, Home nursing and MOH Policy and Strategic plan are discussed. Integrated PHC elements are addressed based on identified community priorities including school health services.
The course aims to equip the students with knowledge and skills in community health nursing and primary health care so as to manage and prevent common communicable diseases in Uganda Course Learning out comes
- At the end of this course unit students should be able to:
- Define various community concepts: Community, Community Health, Public Health, Community aggregates etc.,
- Identify various services provided by the government health care system based on the health policy and strategic plan including the PHC strategy.
- Discuss the professional role of the nurse in community health nursing.
- Describe community structure, organization and community mobilization process
- Discuss the impact of environmental sanitation on the health status of individuals, families and communities.
- Carry out community health assessment on community as a client to identify priority health problems and implement integrated PHC services including school health.
- Describe the common communicable diseases with reference to their epidemiological triad, chain of infection and web of causation.
- Identify the role of the individual and the family in the promotion and maintenance of health and prevention of communicable disease.
- Describe the Community based health care services in Uganda.
- Conduct community mobilization and assessment for health interventions at community, family and individual levels based on primary, secondary and tertiary prevention strategies. Detailed