Issues In Professional Nursing Practice
This course prepares the student to smoothly transform from being a student nurse to being a professional nurse. It gives an insight into the issues the student should expect in professional practice and how best to respond to them when encountered. The traditional medicine and complementary therapy part of this course is designed to enable students to develop an understanding of traditional and complementary medical approaches to the management of illnesses. The course is also intended to help them appreciate how some of these methods can be used alongside the orthodox medicine and nursing practices.
The course is aimed to help students to gain an understanding of how to become a professional nurse and also to acquire skills on how to skillfully discourage some harmful traditional practices.
Course Learning outcome
1. Describe the common issues that emerge within health care systems that impact on nursing care.
2. Discuss the key issues that affect nursing education and research
3. Explain how social political and economic issues impact on nursing practice
4. Describe the factors that influence the image of nursing as a professional discipline.
5. Identify practices that may be considered complementary to scientific medical practices.
6. Explain methods that may be used to effectively discourage harmful traditional practices.
7. Identify and address issues pertinent to the delivery of nursing care services.
8. Compare and contrast the position of nursing as a profession in relation to other professions locally and internationally
9. Appreciate changing roles of nurses in ever-changing health care needs.
10. Identify practices that may be considered complementary to scientific medical practices.
11. Apply methods that may be used to effectively discourage harmful traditional practices.
12. Describe the roles of professional bodies in regard to professional nursing practice and development
13. Describe the influence between culture, society and healthcare delivery .