International And Regional Human Rights
The course introduces students to the development of international and regional human rights law as well as the theories underpinning the human rights discourse. It engages students in an analysis of the challenges facing the international legal system in securing respect for and effective implementation of normative human rights standards.
By the end of the course students should be able to:
- Discuss the development of international and regional human rights norms;
- Outline the key international and regional human rights norms and institutions;
- Critically analyze contemporary human rights issues, paying attention to international and regional human rights law;
- Contextualize and critically examine the enforcement of international human rights norms.
- Analyze factual situations, identify relevant international and regional instruments and propose practical responses to the situation