A comprehensive course designed for nursing students, covering the main principles of palliative care and introducing these principles through practical experience. The course will include principles of palliative care, palliative care nursing in interdisciplinary team, death and dying, communication with families and clients and home visits to the clients.
The course is aimed at equipping learners with knowledge, attitude, and skills to provide holistic nursing care to the terminally ill patients.
Course Learning Outcomes
At the end of the course the student will be able to:
1. To demonstrate skill of caring for the terminally patients
2. Demonstrate effective communication to grieving patients and their families
3. Communicate skillfully and empathetically with patients (adults and children) and families, particularly in the palliative care setting.
4. Discuss ethical issues in palliative and terminal care with other health professionals, the family and the patient (adults and children).
5. Apply WHO analgesic ladder in pain control
6. Express knowledge of importance that the social, spiritual and cultural aspects play in end of life care.