International Humanitarian Law
The course introduces students to the international legal instruments, legal principles and international organizations governing armed conflict. It enables students understand the nature of humanitarian law and appreciate the interests of conflicting parties.
By the end of the course students should be able to:
- Discuss the international norms applicable to armed conflict.
- Explain the legal obligations of States during armed conflict.
- Apply international humanitarian law to a given set of facts.
- Describe contemporary breaches of international humanitarian law and the measures taken by the relevant international organizations.
- Appreciate the competing interests of different parties challenging the adherence to international humanitarian law.