Labour Law Ii
Course Content and Outline
Conditions of the workplace
- Minimum standards of a work place
- Registration of workplaces
- Health and safety at work
- Inspection of workplaces
- The role of Inspectors
- Orders that can be made by an inspector
- The role of Labour Officers
- International Convention and the workplace.
Occupational safety and health
- The historical development
- The legislation
- Health and welfare at the workplace
- Cleanliness and lighting
- Sanitary conveniences
- Provision of adequate facilities for washing, sitting, meals, and others
- First aid
- Safety precautions in factories
- Training and supervision of inexperienced workers
- General statutory safety standards.
Other safety provisions
- Lifting appliance
- Prevention of fire and fire preparedness
- Handling chemicals
- Handling hazardous and dangerous substances
- Handling specialized dangerous machinery
- Medical examinations
- Manufacturers and suppliers
- Standards affecting third parties.
Health and safety provisions under the Employment Act
- Medical examinations
- Special category of employees
- Employment of children
- Hours of work
- Actions for breach of statutory duties
- Defences to actions for breach of statutory duty.
- Occupational safety standards
- Occupational health standards
- Working conditions in the informal sector
- Gender issues and occupational safety.
- Development of workers compensation legislation
- Employer’s liability
- Injuries in the course of employment
- Compensation for injury
- Scheduled or occupational diseases
- Workers compensation computation
- Insurance policy for injuries in the course of employment
- ILO standards.
Labour disputes and industrial relations
- Statutory regulation
- Arbitration and settlement of disputes
- Quasi judicial powers
- Trade dispute procedure and rules.
Social security and pensions
- Human rights approach to social security
- Statutory regulation and requirements
- Voluntary benefit schemes
- Entitlement to social security benefits
- Public service and pensions
- Government standing orders
- Protection against unemployment.
TEACHING METHODS/MODE OF DELIVERY:
- Group presentations
INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIAL OR EQUIPMENT:
- White board and makers.
- Flip charts.
- LCD Projectors.
- Overhead projectors.
- CDs, DVDs, and tapes.