Renewable And Sustainable Energy Systems I
This course deals with topics in advanced renewable energy system technology from an engineering point of view. The full spectrum of alternative and renewable energy is introduced and analyzed, including methods of integrating these solutions in the society in order to fulfil requirements for energy services in a sustainable way. The principles, possibilities, and limits of alternative and renewable energy are discussed. The course further provides a graduate level understanding of the conversion principles and technology behind various renewable energy sources. It also examines the issues involved in the integration of various renewable energy sources and their economics for heat, power and transportation needs. Based on the technical and sustainability challenges, the future outlook for each of the sources and systems is discussed.
The course provides the structure and operation of renewable energy systems such as; wind energy, bioenergy, solar energy etc., and determine their potential use and efficiency.
By the end of this course, the student should be able to:
- Describe the principles of operation of the broad spectrum of renewable energy technologies.
- Analyze energy technologies from a systems perspective.
- Articulate the technical challenges for each of the renewable sources and
- Discuss economic, technical and sustainability issues involved in the integration of renewable energy systems
A student completing the course is expected to:
- Describe in detail the fundamentals and main characteristics of wind energy, bioenergy, solar energy and their differences compared to fossil fuels.
- Describe in detail the main components of these 3 different renewable energy systems
- Explain the technological basis for harnessing these renewable energy sources including their possibilities and limitations
- Recognize the effects that current energy systems based on fossil fuels have over the environment and the society
- Compare different renewable energy technologies and choose the most appropriate based on local conditions
- Design and dimension technological solutions based on wind energy, bioenergy or solar energy that meet specific energy demands, are economically feasible and have a minimal impact on the environment