Advanced Fiber Optic Technologies
A comprehensive description of the technology of fiber optical communication system. A balanced discussion between component operation and system design consideration. Performance parameters and fabrication problems, lasers, LED modulation and detector responses. Link budget analysis. Advantages of fiber optics, recent developments and applications.
To develop an understanding of more advanced concepts relating to optical fibre technology. The students will also be engaged with specialised optical fibre, passive and active optical devices/components and integrated optics.
By the end of this course, the student should be able to:
- Explain the basic principles of operation of optical system components, the different network architectures and issues associated with network design.
- Discuss the benefits of coherent system and the limitations and challenges in practical implementation.
- Explain the differences in the design of TDM and CDM systems when implemented in the optical domain and the challenges involved.
A student completing the course is expected to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the differences and challenges involved in the design of optical systems and networks.
- Apply the knowledge for designing a fiber optic system addressing the channel impairments.
- Identify a suitable backbone infrastructure for present and future communication needs.