Thermodynamics is an Engineering tool based on applied physics and particularly interested in relationships between Energy, Work and Heat. Thermodynamic concepts are essential for analyzing almost all Chemical and Materials Engineering problems; hence, the objective of this course is to educate engineering students so they are able to effectively utilize thermodynamics for practical problem solving.
With relation to a chemical industry
i) understand laws of thermodynamics and how to apply them
ii) learn how to calculate thermodynamic properties
iii) learn how to make calculations for the flow processes, power cycles, compressors, and refrigerators
Course Learning Objectives:
- Recognize the importance of thermodynamics for chemical processing.
- Restate the concepts of thermodynamics as they relate to process applications.
- Evaluate energy balances for open and closed systems
- Evaluate mass balance for open and closed systems
- Use microsoft excel to solve trial and error problems
- Use microsoft excel to calculate thermodynamic properties with equation of state
- Analyze process changes based on various equations of state
- Derive expressions for thermodynamic properties from equations of state
- Calculate heats of reactive processes based on process conditions
- Graph process paths on PV and TS diagrams
- Analyze nonideality in real systems
- Calculate the efficiency of a real process
- Calculate the maximum efficiency of a cycle