The course is a practical-oriented conducted in the Recess Semester at end of Year I. Students are introduced to management of workshop including inventory of materials and safety, the most common equipments in a workshop and their operation. Students are taught how to cut metal sheets, annealing, filing, boring, welding and painting finished products. Finally students are given limited materials (both paper and metal sheets) and tasked to manufacture simple items like a cubic box with a lid, a conical jug, etc.
- The course is intended:
- To teach students the practices of workshop management and maintenance.
- To familiarize students with workshop machinery like drills, lathes, welding torches, files, saws, hammers, etc.
- To teach students the need to economize materials when managing a workshop.
- To teach students the safety measures needed in a workshop and how to deal with accidents at work.
- To teach student welding and manufacture of selected items.
- To teach students the practice of plumbing.
- To teach students the basics of electrical installations.