Unit Operations Laboratory
Course Content and Outline
Fluid Circuit Practicals:
- Measurement of pressure drop across an orifice.
- Measurement of pressure drop across a venture.
- Measurement of the friction factor of a fluid flowing in a pipe.
Heat Transfer Circuit
- Measurement of conductivity of a metallic plate.
- Measurement of heat loss through varying thicknesses of insulator.
- Measurement of heat transfer coefficient of a double pipe heat exchanger
- Measurement of heat transferred between two fluids in a double pipe heatexchanger
Distillation Column Circuit
- Measurement of refractive index of alcohol of different concentrations.
- Measurement of boiling points of alcohol of varying concentrations.
Miscellaneous Unit Operations
- Heat and mass transfer during drying of a sand sample.
- Measurement of size, numbers and surface area of a sample of maize flour using screen analysis methods.
- Measurement of specific cake resistance of a filter cake
- Measurement of the filter medium resistance during filtration
- Spray drying to produce powder milk or soluble coffee.
Mode of Delivery:
Group practicals. The students carry out all the available practicals in small groups, and get data which they analyze and interpret as assignments individually