Photovoltaic Systems, Modeling And Design
The course introduces doctoral students to the fundamentals, design and application of solar photovoltaic systems for power generation on small and large scale electrification. It also discusses the methods of modeling and analysis of solar thermal and PV systems.
The design methods of solar thermal and photovoltaic systems are also discussed.
Estimating the production of PV systems is critical for their success. Modeling is required for any sort of financial calculations, as well as for back-testing system performance. Furthermore, different system design architectures and equipment choices can easily be simulated and compared, which can lead to more efficient, better performing systems being installed.This course provides the needed knowledge and tools for engineers/scientists to design practical solar PV systems. It also familiarizes the students with the state of the art, challenges, and developments in modeling, and analysis of PV power systems and their integration to the grid.
By the end of this course, the student should be able to:
- Discuss the principle of direct solar energy conversion to power using PV technology.
- Explain the structure, materials and operation of solar cells, PV modules, and arrays.
- Discuss the concept to design PV systems for various applications.
- Present the socio-economic and environmental merits of photovoltaic systems for a variety of applications and The prospects of photovoltaic technology for sustainable power generation
- Discuss mathematical modeling development methods including Quantitative techniques and other various numerical methods to solve equations.
- Use software tools to solve problems including energy optimization techniques.
A doctoral student completing the course is expected to:
- Apply the output characteristics of the commercially available PV modules and be able to model them on Matlab.
- Program different MPPT algorithms for extracting the maximum power and understand their pros and cons.
- Design practical residential and grid connected PV systems.
- Design and model PV power electronic converters.
- Model the effect of integrating PV systems to the grid and understand the regulations.
- Apply the principle of direct solar energy conversion to power using PV technology.
- Apply the structure, materials and operation of solar cells, PV modules, and arrays. § design PV systems for various applications.
- Present the socio-economic and environmental merits of photovoltaic systems for a variety of applications and the prospects of photovoltaic technology for sustainable power generation