Public Financial Management
The course analyses the public sector or the role, rationale, objectives and consequences of government interaction in the economy. This course will apply the tools of economics to analyze what the government does and what it ought to do.
To expose students to the major areas of concern in the management of public finances with in the public sector.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES
By the end of the course, students should be able to understand.
- The terminology, concepts, and basic principles of public finance.
- Why the government is involved in direct provision of some goods and services and not others.
- The government’s revenue, expenditure and debt.
- The incentive effect and the dead weight losses of resulting from tax structure.
- Be able to analyze tax incidence.