Course Content and Outline
- Understanding disasters (5hrs)
- The concept of disasters
- An overview of a disaster situation
- Definition of the key concepts
Categorization of disasters (7hrs)
- By causes
- Speed of onset
- Effects and Impact of Disasters effects
- The direct damage
- Indirect damage
- The secondary damage
- The economic impacts
- Social impacts
- Psychological impacts
- Environmental impacts
The Disaster Development Nexus (4hrs)
How disaster may cause development
How development may cause disasters
Disaster Vulnerability (3hrs)
- General overview of vulnerability
- Characteristics of vulnerability to disasters
The Historical perspectives of understanding vulnerability disasters (7hrs)
- Nature as a cause of vulnerability to disasters.
- Cost as a cause of vulnerability to disaster.
- Human as a cause of vulnerability to disaster.
Development trends and vulnerability. (1hr)
Disaster needs assessment (3hrs)
- Implementation / plan
Response to disaster (3hrs)
- Pre- disaster phase.
- Disaster mitigation
- Disaster preparedness
Post – during disaster response (6hrs)
Emergency phase / relief phase.
Rehabilitation phase / middle phase.
Reconstruction / development phase.
MODE OF DELIVERY
- Practical assignments
- Field trips
INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS AND / OR EQUIPMENT
- Whiteboard and Markers
- Flip Charts
- LCD Projectors
- CDs, DVDs and Tapes