Introduction To Counseling Theories And Practice
Course Content and Outline
The Cultural And Historical Origins Of Counseling (6CH)
- History of counseling & psychotherapy
- Relationship between counselling and psychotherapy
- Counselling and other helping professions
- Growth of counseling globally and nationally
Nature And Scope Of Guidance And Counseling(6CH)
- Key definitions of terms and phrases
- Nature of problems that call for counseling.
- Environment for counseling
- Qualities of a professional counselor.
- The art of helping (philosophy of helping)
The Diversity Of Theory And Practice In Counseling(3CH)
- Goals of Guidance / Counseling
- Need for guidance and counseling services
- Description of guidance and counseling services.
- Counseling as an interdisciplinary area of study
- Basic Issues In Counseling Practice(9CH)
- The counselor; person and professional
- Personal counseling for the counselor
- The counselor's values and the therapeutic process
- Issues faced by beginning therapists
- Modes of therapy/counseling
- Ethical & legal issues in counseling
- Cognitive-Behavioral, and
Basic Skills Needed In Counseling Practice(3CH)
- Attending skills; Rapport building; Listening; Questioning
- Interpretation; Summarizing; Confidentiality; Self-disclosure; Information giving; Confrontation.
- Positive and negative coping ways.
- Factors that influence coping mechanisms.
Social support network(3CH)
- The importance of social support network.
- The role of community in counseling.
MODE OF DELIVERY
- Reading assignments
- Practical assignments
- Field trips
INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS AND / OR EQUIPMENT
- Whiteboard and Markers
- Flip Charts
- LCD Projectors
- CDs, DVDs and Tapes