Introduction To Guidance And Counselling
Course Content and Outline
1. The Cultural And Historical Origins Of Counseling (9CH)
· History of counseling & psychotherapy
· Relationship between counseling and psychotherapy
· Counseling and other helping professions
· Growth of counseling globally and nationally
2. Nature And Scope Of Guidance And Counseling (12CH)
· Key definitions of terms and phrases
· Nature of problems that call for counseling.
· Environment for counseling
· Qualities of a professional counselor.
· The art of helping (philosophy of helping)
3. The Diversity Of Theory And Practice In Counseling (6CH)
· Goals of Guidance / Counseling
· Need for guidance and counseling services
· Description of guidance and counseling services.
· Counseling as an interdisciplinary area of study
4. Basic Issues In Counseling Practice (4CH)
· The counselor; person and professional
· Personal counseling for the counselor
· The counselor's values and the therapeutic process
· Issues faced by beginning therapists
· Modes of therapy/counseling
· Ethical & legal issues in counseling
5. Counseling Theories: An Overview (6CH)
· Cognitive-Behavioral, and
6. Basic Skills Needed In Counseling Practice (3CH)
· Attending skills; Rapport building; Listening; Questioning
· Interpretation; Summarizing; Confidentiality; Self-disclosure; Information giving; Confrontation.
7. Coping mechanisms (3CH)
· Positive and negative coping ways.
· Factors that influence coping mechanisms.
8. Social support network (3CH)
· The importance of social support network.
· The role of community in counseling.
MODE OF DELIVERY
INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS AND / OR EQUIPMENT
Whiteboard and Markers
CDs, DVDs and Tapes