This is the second supervised clinical experience for counseling students. Students will be attached to counselling agencies to practice concrete skills learned. They will attend to actual clients and participate in individual and group supervision. The aim is to continue develop conceptual and professional skills related to their practice at a field site during the practicum course (GIC2206). Students will practice various specified counseling and other related activities during a minimum of 180 hours at an agency or educational setting. Satisfactory performance at the field placement and during on-campus class meetings will be evaluated before a student is awarded a grade.
EXPECTED LEARNING OUTCOMES
By the end of this course, students will be able to:-
- Make highly accurate responses to client's statements by responding to client needs, feelings, cues, and behavior.
- Appropriately share experiences, feelings, and ideas in an open, non-dogmatic manner while keeping the focus on the client.
- Apply ethical and legal considerations in professional counseling to real life situations.
- Appropriately apply counseling skills to problems presented by a variety of individuals in an agency or school setting.
- Establish an ongoing counseling relationship with a client(s) based on accurate case conceptualization and help clients set action oriented goals related to their identified problems.
- Evaluate their opinions, practices, and ethnicity, religious and spiritual values and sseparate personal reactions to an issue from those of the client.
- Field Placement: The student will negotiate a field experience
contract with his or her onsite supervisor prior to the period of
placement. This contract constitutes an agreement between the student,
field supervisor and KIU; and specifies the student's activities, hours,
and supervision arrangements.
- Practicum Hours: The student
will complete 180 clock hours of supervised field practice. At least 40
of these hours will be direct service work with clientele appropriate to
the student's field setting. Of these 40 direct hours, at least 10
should be group work. Hours are to be recorded on the Practicum Log.
Supervision: The student will complete at least one hour per week of
individual supervision with their site supervisor. The student will
attend all individual supervision sessions. If they miss more than one
session appointment with their supervisor, it will affect their final
- Group Supervision. The student will complete at least 2
hours per week of group supervision with other practicum students. This
supervision will be provided by a faculty member and/or an assigned,
supervised doctoral graduate assistant. Students are required to bring
recordings to each session and other useful materials. One of the
recordings will be of a group counseling session. The class or small
group will listen/view recordings and use them as a stimulus for group
discussion and supervision. Each student will select an intervention to
demonstrate/roleplay for the class, with a fellow classmate role-playing
as the client.
- Case Summaries: These involve case analyses,
recordings or transcripts. Students are required to videotape or radio
record counseling sessions with clients from their field sites. Three
recorded counseling sessions will be submitted to the instructor for
supervision feedback. Recordings may include a typed transcript,
conceptualization, and self-evaluation of your counseling skills.
Counseling: Students are required to conduct at least one weekly
counseling session with individual clients for the rest of their
- Group Counseling. Students are required
to lead one psycho-educational or counseling group (minimum 4 sessions)
in their site setting. They may lead a group session in a community
setting. Recording of at least one group sessions is required for
- Needs Assessment: The student will
complete an evaluation of field site needs during the first week of the
placement. These evaluations will be filed with the University
supervisor. It is through this needs assessment, that the student shall
complete a practicum project at the conclusion of the practicum
- Practicum Project: The student will complete an
implementation project during the last three weeks of the placement.
These projects will be videotaped, radio-recorded or systematically
written down, clearly outlining the procedures taken to intervene on key
concerns identified in the needs assessment exercise. The report of the
project shall be compiled and submitted to the University supervisor.