Social Policy Analysis And Planning
Course Content and Outline
Introduction to Policy Studies (3CH)
- Why study public policy
- Policy Analysis in Action
- Policy Analysis and policy Advocacy
Models of policy (3CH)
- Institutionalism, incrementalism
- Process, Elite, Rationalism
- Game theory, public choice
The Meso Analysis (6CH)
- Social problem Approaches
- Theories of Agenda control
- Typologies of policy issues
- Knowledge and policy Agenda
Social policy practice (6CH)
- Importance of social policy practice
- Conceptualizing policy practice.
- Policy practice skills and tasks
- Ethical principles in policy practice
- Policy practice as social justice
- Policy sensitive and policy related practice
Policy practice in Government and Agency setting (6CH)
- Players in Legislative and Government setting.
- Community group that shape policy
- Strategy in legislative setting
- The mind set of elected officials
- The players in Organizational setting
Power and policy Enactment (3CH)
- In Defense of politics
- Political Approaches to Policy practice.
- The nature of power.
- Person to person power.
- Substantive power, the power of autonomy
- Exerting political pressure.
Social Policy (3CH)
- Models in social policy
- Distinction in public services and Responsibility.
Strategies for policy persuasion (3CH)
- Policy persuasion
- Persuading specific audiences
- Persuading strategies
- Combative persuading
- Win – win or collaborative technique
Recurring Policy options (3CH)
- An over view of the proposal.
- A case from the human services
- Policies for a new program
- Linking policy skills.
Defining problems (3CH)
- Using policy analysis
- Classifying problems analytically
- Measuring the prevalence of problems
- Distinguishing important problems from trivial ones
- Causes of social problems
- Variation in problems
- Challenges for policy Advocates
After enacting policy (3CH)
- Implementing policy
- Problem in the early stages of implementation
- Problem in later stages in implementation.
- Developing Remedies
- Ethical issues: Compliance and whistle blowing.
Assessing policy (3CH)
- The fundamental logic of policy assessment
- Similarities between Assessing and analyzing policy
- Policy Assessment and policy debates
- Why social workers should assess policy
MODE OF DELIVERY
- Practical assignments
- Field trips
INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS AND / OR EQUIPMENT
- Whiteboard and Markers
- Flip Charts
- LCD Projectors
- CDs, DVDs and Tapes