Social Sector Planning And Management
Course Content and Outline
Introduction to Social Sector planning & management (5CH)
- Define & explain basic concepts in the Social Sector
- Understand the Characteristics of the Social Sector
- Relate the current Social Sector Management to New Public Management (NPM).
Goal Setting in the social sector. (3CH)
- Importance of goals, types of goals, criteria for effective goals and goal setting behavior
Social Planning (5CH)
- Describes different types of plans for attaining social sector goals,
- steps of effective planning,
- organizational design for planning
Social delivery systems. (3CH)
- Principles of designing social Provisions,
- The Nature of social provisions,
- Cash benefits vs. in-kind provisions
- The Post Welfare Agenda.
- principles, limitations, the role of the state in the Post-welfare agenda, motivating factors for Post Welfare agenda
Social Sector Management. (4CH)
- The importance of social sector management,
- Principles and functions of management
Management in the social sector environment.(3CH)
- Demographic, sociocultural, political/legal, technological, economic, global environments
Leading & Management Framework.(9CH)
- Social sector managers should be leaders as well.
- leadership and management practices. Leading:
- scanning, focusing, aligning/mobilizing, and inspiring.
- Managing: Planning, organizing, implementing, M&E
- The social development Sector in Uganda. The SDS Plan 2015/2016-2019-2020 Priority areas.
MODE OF DELIVERY
- Practical assignments
- Field trips
INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS AND / OR EQUIPMENT
- Whiteboard and Markers
- Flip Charts
- LCD Projectors
- CDs, DVDs and Tapes