Fundamentals Of Chemistry
This course deals with the basic concepts of matter and its classification, mass relationships
in chemical reactions, properties of gases, liquids and solids concepts of thermochemistry; quantum theory and electronic behavior; the periodic relationship of elements in the periodic table; intermolecular forces and solutions, introduction to Organic Chemistry.
These are first-year freshman courses at KIU designed to: Provide an introductory treatment of scientific concepts fundamental to Engineering. Apply scientific methods to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data in engineering
At the end of this course, the student should be able to:
- Outline the concept of matter and its classification.
- Analyze mass relationships in chemical reactions.
- Apply quantum theory and electronic behavior in telecommunication field.
- Describe basic concepts of organic chemistry.
At the end of the course unit students should be able to;
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of the atomic/molecular structures and the electronic configurations of elements.
- Explain the types of bonds, the chemical kinetics and equilibrium energetics of various reactions.
- Develop laboratory skills regarding experiments in Chemistry
- Explain the introductory concepts in Organic Chemistry