Rocket Health Launches Convenient USSD Code *280# Health Care Service
May 6, 2021, 4:40 pm
This course presents various analytical/computer tools for the design and analysis of various heavy-duty pavements. The course develops the principles and techniques of pavement design and analysis to the post graduate level. More advanced concepts are explored in the areas of pavement material characterization, mechanistic pavement design, pavement evaluation and pavement maintenance.
By the end of this course, the student should be able to:
· Research and apply established theories to evaluate pavement stress regimes and use appropriate pavement material characterisation methods.
· Assess the potential use of marginal pavement materials (including recycled materials) and transmit ideas to specialist and non-specialist audiences.
· Formulate and devise complex pavement material improvement techniques.
· Apply advanced theoretical and integrated practical knowledge in pavement design and analysis for: mine haul and unsealed roads; flexible pavements; and concrete pavements.
· Assess key performance indicators for various pavements and determine maintenance and rehabilitation options.
· Reflect on and synthesise complex concepts and theories in the use of Life Cycle Cost Analysis to evaluate pavement design options and in the application of Pavement Management System to plan maintenance actions.;
A student completing the course is expected to:
· Perform mechanics based analyses of pavement structures.
· Describe fracture mechanics and its applications to pavement engineering.
· Explain fracture mechanics testing for characterization of infrastructure materials.
· Apply fundamental concepts of viscoelasticity and fracture mechanics to the optimization of flexible pavement cracking resistance.
· Describe basics of plasticity and visco-plasticity and be able to use the FEM to evaluate the performance of the pavement structures at inelastic deformations.
· Describe the basic understanding of the effect the internal structure of asphalt mixture has on the material performance.
· Describe the modern methods for the characterization of the internal structure of asphalt.
· Explain mechanisms of cohesive and adhesive interactions in asphaltic materials.
May 6, 2021, 10:35 am