Land Use Planning And Development
This course deal with land use planning, urban growth, Land management and sustainable development. The environmental and human impacts of urban development on land use conversion will be analyzed and discussed. Land use issues at the urban-rural fringe, Land capability assessment as a planning tool. Land use and Environmental planning and regulation. The Planning process and planning tools for Land use management. Non-regulatory means of resolving land use conflicts. The use of GIS for land use analysis and management. Land use classification scheme and supervised classification of land cover types from remote sensing data. Planning models for sustainable environments. What are the different modes of organizing land ownership? Since land is both a public and private good, who is entitled to the benefits that accrue from land?
There are many land uses that are competing for land yet it is a scarce resource. This calls for planners and land use managers to come up with the best procedures to determine the best land use patterns based on the suitability of land. The students therefore need to be equipped with the skills to develop better land use plans to overcome land management challenges faced in both urban and rural areas.
By the end of this course, the student should be able to:
- Explain the concepts of Land use, Land use planning and Land Management.
- Apply the various forms of land use planning techniques, Land use Planning Process and Land Management in urban and regional settings.
- Describe the principles of land use planning and the significance of appropriate land use planning for sustainable environmental management.
- Equiped with the analytical skills and knowledge necessary for land use planning and problem solving; and
A doctoral student completing the course is expected to:
- Demonstrate expertise in the substantive areas of land use planning.
- Analyse the rationality of land use arrangement in a city.
- Gain and use GIS skills to analyse and research planning problems for innovative solutions.
- Communicate your research findings verbally and visually as a part of a team.
- Foster communication and coordination abilities in both individual and collaborative work efforts.