KIU, Western Campus – Tanzanian vegetable rice is one delicious dish which is surprisingly easy and quick to make. I got the recipe from a friend and I was surprised at how well it turned out. You can prepare this new recipe this weekend.
1. 1 ½ cups of basmati rice
2. 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
3. I onion, chopped
4. 4 ounces of sweet corn (2/3 of a cup)
5. 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
6. 3 cups of water or vegetable stock
7. ½ green pepper, chopped
8. 1 large carrot, grated
. Wash the rice in a sieve under cold water, then leave to drain about 15 minutes.
• Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion for a few minutes over moderate heat until soft.
• Add the rice and stir-fry for about 10 minutes, taking care to keep stirring all the time so that the rice doesn’t stick to the pan.
• Add the garlic and the stock or water and stir well. Bring to the boil and cook over high heat for 5 minutes, then reduce the heat, cover and cook the rice for 20 minutes.
• Scatter the corn over the rice, then spread the pepper on top and lastly sprinkle over the grated carrot.
• Cover tightly and steam over a low heat until the rice is cooked, then mix together with a fork and serve immediately.
Picture credit: KindMeal