KIU, Main Campus - The minister of Health, Dr Jane Ruth Aceng, has thanked Ugandans for adhering to the presidential directives and guidelines issued by the ministry of health to stop the spread of COVID-19. The minister said this in a televised address on Thursday evening.
Aceng said that Ugandans have been very understanding, supportive and responsible in the quest to prevent the spread of COVID-19, despite the challenges associated with the guidelines.
“I especially want to appreciate your vigilance and alertness in identifying new entrants both Ugandans and foreigners who come into your communities and reporting them to authorities,” Aceng said.
She added that these actions have enabled the ministry to identify potential sources of infections and handle them appropriately to prevent the further spread of the deadly Coronavirus.
The minister has, however, said that the biggest challenge remains the issue of truck drivers at border points who have continuously tested positive for COVID-19, but assured Ugandans that the President of Uganda Yoweri Kaguta Museveni is working hard with his counterparts in the East African region to address the issue of truck drivers.
Aceng said that the ministry is also working hard and has developed different proposals which will be implemented moving forward.
Aceng fittingly appreciated the health workers in Uganda for their dedication and commitment to working tirelessly to save lives.
“I have seen a committed, selfless and united workforce determined to fight this battle. It is not easy but the good lord will see us through. All health workers all over the country, volunteers and support staff, you are our heroes,” Aceng said.
The ministry of health has also strengthened regional referral hospitals to manage the cases of COVID 19. Each of the 14 regional referral hospitals in the country has prepared 10 intensive care beds for critical care and 30 beds for management of moderate cases.
Eight of the regional referral hospitals in the country have had the opportunity to manage COVID-19 confirmed cases as a way of testing their preparedness.
The ministry appealed to the general public to continue adhering to the guidelines from the Ministry of Health to stop the spread of COVID-19.
“Ugandans, you have done very well so far, through heavy sacrifice. Therefore, we must not allow the gains we have achieved so far to go down the drain. My humble appeal is that we work through this together and prepare ourselves adequately for the phased lifting of the lockdown,” Aceng said.
Photo: From the internet