By Rogers Wanambwa
KIU, Main Campus - Yesterday, President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni addressed the nation and gave some new guidelines on how the country is going to survive in the next two weeks after extending the lockdown for two more weeks.
Here are eight key takeaways from his address:
1. Airport to remain closed to passenger planes.
2. Wholesalers allowed to open. But operators must have face masks and must observe social distancing directives.
3. Also allowed to operate are: Hardware shops; metal and wood workshops, Motor vehicle garages, lawyers' quota of 30, insurance, restaurants which provide take away, ware houses
4. Mode of transport for persons falling in the above categories of authorised services: Buses hired by employers, Bicycles and walking/footing.
5. Private transport and public transport still banned.
6. Every one going into the public should wear a mask. This is because the virus rides on mucus droplets released into the atmosphere by coughing, sneezing, breathing etc.
7. All measures announced earlier on remain in place for the next 14 days.
8. Banks and landlords should reschedule loans and rent which are in arrears on account of the Coronavirus.
The KIU community is advised to continue adhering to the guidelines to keep themselves safe. Life is paramount.