By Stuart Bogere
KIU, Main Campus - KIU is proud to celebrate International Women's Day with women across the world to promote Gender Equality. As a proud signatory to the UN Women Empowerment Principles and the UN Gender Equality Seal, KIU makes great strides to implement equality gender initiatives to achieve this goal.
Today, we are proud to unveil our female leaders who are transforming the University and bringing our strategic vision to life as we continue to create a better tomorrow for the world. Using a number of initiatives, KIU has continuously endorsed the rights of women to ensure that they are viably contributed to the education sector. It is worth celebrating women’s day since KIU has notable milestones on gender equality and woman empowerment.
In the University leadership ranging from the students Guild executive to the University Council, the aspect of women empowerment is vividly manifested. For instance, it is the University’s policy that if the Guild's top leader is a Gent then he must be deputized by a Lady.
At the top of women achievers at KIU is Assoc. Prof. Janice Busingye, the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (DVC) Finance and Administration and University Council Secretary
Similarly, the different faculties and departments are in full stewardship of women like the Head of Mass Communication and Media Studies, Dr. Joan Owade Adongo, HOD Applied Psychology, Ms. Faith Nakalema, Susanne Nambatya, the HOD Development, Peace and Conflict Studies, and Schola Busingye, Dean of Students Affairs.
In addition to the above, with the exception of the Directorate of ICT, other Directorates are led by women
- Dr. Wardah Mummy Rajab-Gyagenda, Director of Higher Degrees and Research (DHDR)
- Mrs. Zainab Abdul Hussein, Director of Finance
- Prof. Francisca Oladipo, Director of Research, Innovations, Consultancy, and Extensions (RICE)
- Ms. Nancy Muttu, Director of Marketing and Public Relations
- Ms. Agnes Lumala Fredda, Director of Academic Affairs
- Ms. Aisha Lubega, Director of Human Resource,
- Ms. Proscovia Asiimwe, Director Customer Care and Bursary
- Mrs. Kyamanywa Elizabeth, Campus Administrator
- Mrs. J. Komagum Grace University Internal Auditor
- Ms. Silvia Nalubwama Director Quality Assurance
- Ms. Stella Ninyikiriza Director of Admissions
- Dr. Prisca Tibendirana Chief University Librarian among others.
At KIU we say, achieving gender equality requires the engagement of women and men, girls and boys and this is everyone’s responsibility.
Empowering women to be key change agents is an essential element to achieving gender imbalance. KIU cherishes and is proud of the good works done by our women in the University leadership, they don’t only provide tremendous services to the University but you also inspire many.
We wish you happy celebrations of international women’s day.