By Rogers Wanambwa
KIU, Main Campus – Guinean President Alpha Condé is under the custody of the country’s armed forces after being captured on Sunday, September 5th, in a coup d'état after gunfire rocked the capital, Conakry.
Nine unnamed soldiers, several draped in the red, gold, and green national flag, featured in a TVaddress saying they had taken over because of rampant corruption, mismanagement, and poverty.
The group calling themselves the National Committee for Reconciliation and Development said the constitution had been dissolved and that there would be talks to create a new, more inclusive one.
Various reports say the coup was led by an elite unit led by a former French legionnaire, Lt Col Mamady Doumbouya.
In one unverified video, soldiers ask President Condé, 83, to confirm he is unharmed but he refuses to respond. Though he looked to be unharmed in the video, his fate and location remain unknown.
Those behind the coup said that all land and air borders had been closed for a week.
The only bridge connecting the mainland to the Kaloum peninsula, which houses most ministries and the presidential palace, had been sealed off while many soldiers, some heavily armed, were posted around the palace, a military source told Reuters news agency.
Following the news of his capture, opposition supporters and activists took to the streets in celebration.
Guinea's football World Cup qualifying match against Morocco at home on 6 September was postponed as a result of the chaos. Football body FIFA said the decision was made to ”ensure the safety and security of all players and to protect all match officials.”
The Moroccan team was escorted from Guinea following the coup by a faction of the military safely from the country.