What’s Happening Today?
International Biodiesel Day. Biodiesel is a form of diesel fuel derived from plants or animals and consisting of long-chain fatty acid esters. It is typically made by chemically reacting lipids such as animal fat (tallow). soybean oil, or some other vegetable oil with an alcohol, producing a methyl, ethyl or propyl ester by the process of transesterification.
World Lion Day. It is celebrated on August 10 of every year to raise awareness about lions and to mobilise support for their protection and conservation. According to the World Wide Fund for animals (WWF), even though a lion is often referred to as the “king of the jungle,” it actually only lives in grasslands and plains.
What Happened Today?
1. In 1897, German chemist Felix Hoffmann ed an improved way of synthesizing acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin). The synthesis of aspirin is classified as an esterification reaction. Salicylic acid is treated with acetic anhydride, an acid derivative, causing a chemical reaction that turns salicylic acid's hydroxyl group into an ester group (R-OH → R-OCOCH3). This process yields aspirin and acetic acid, which is considered a byproduct of this reaction. Small amounts of sulfuric acid (and occasionally phosphoric acid) are almost always used as a catalyst. This method is commonly demonstrated in undergraduate teaching labs.
2. In 2001, the 2001 Angola train attack occurred, causing 252 deaths. UNITA forces derailed a train travelling between towns of Zenza and Dondo with an anti-tank mine and then attacked the passengers with small arms fire.
3. In 2012, the Marikana massacre began near Rustenburg, South Africa, resulting in the deaths of 47 people. The Marikana massacre occurred during a wildcat strike at a mine owned by Lonmin in the Marikana area, close to Rustenburg, in 2012.
1. 1960 – Antonio Banderas, Hollywood actor and movie director.
2. 1997 – Kylie Jenner, American model, socialite, TV personality and businesswoman who is also the step-sister of the Kardashian sisters.
Sources: Wikipedia & checkiday
Image: Day Finders