What’s Happening Today?
Independence Day (Bahamas). This holiday commemorates the day when The Bahamas became a fully independent nation on July 10, 1973, separating from the United Kingdom.
Armed Forces Day (Mauritania). July 10 is Armed Forces Day in the Islamic Republic of Mauritania. This holiday honours the country's military that comprises above 15,000 active personnel and 5,000 paramilitaries. Mauritania's national armed forces were formed in 1960, following the country's independence from France.
What Happened Today?
1. In 1913, at Death Valley, the United States of America experienced the highest temperature ever recorded on Earth. Measurements showed that the temperature had reached a whopping 134°F or 56.7°C.
2. In 1940, during World War II, The German air force or Luftwaffe launched an air campaign against England during the Battle of Britain. It was one of the first battles during the Second World War fought entirely between air forces and it ended a few months later with a British victory.
3. In 1962, the first live television images in the world were transmitted. This was after Telstar (in the picture), the world's first communication satellite was launched in space. The satellite was made by a collaboration between organizations in the U.S., the U.K., and France.
1. 1980 - Jessica Simpson, American singer-songwriter, actress, fashion designer.
2. 1999 – Peruth Chemutai, Ugandan steeplechase athlete. She was born in Bukwo district.
Sources: Wikipedia, checkiday & bornglorious.com
Picture credit: Internet photo