What’s Happening Today?
World Hepatitis Day. It is observed on July 28 every year and it is aimed at raising global awareness about Hepatitis A, B, C, D, and E and encouraging prevention, diagnosis and treatment of the disease. Hepatitis affects hundreds of millions of people worldwide, causing acute and chronic disease which kill about 1.34 million people every year.
Most people in Uganda are not aware of the serious danger that Hepatitis causes and this day should be used to create public awareness about it.
World Nature Conservation Day. The day is observed to increase awareness about protecting natural resources and to make people understand the importance of the conservation of nature. It encourages all to participate in the protection, conservation, and sustainable management of natural resources.
We practice dangerous practices like deforestation, polluting natural water sources and encroaching on wetlands and the devastating effects of these practices, like floods and landslides should be a lesson that we should respect the environment and conserve it for future generations.
What Happened Today?
1. In 1866, 18-year old Vinnie Ream became the first and youngest female artist to receive a commission from the United States government for a statue. She sculpted the statue of American President of Abraham Lincoln on the US Capitol Hill.
2. In 1960, the Volkswagen Act was enacted. This act regulated the privatization of the government-owned car company, the Volkswagenwerk GmbH into the Volkswagen AG, which had privatized the government entity. This move was aimed at maintaining shares in a privately owned company by the government. The move was overturned by the European Court of Justice in 2007.
3. In 1885, deposed Ugandan president Apollo Milton Obote fled to Kenya after a bloodless coup by military officer Tito Okello Lutwa. He later fled to Tanzania, where he stayed until his return to Uganda in 1980.
1. 1928 – Abraham Waligo, the 4th Prime Minister of Uganda.
2. 1993 – Harry Kane, English football striker who plays for Tottenham Hotspur